August 17, 2014

YoP - Getting Started with my DPNs


Hello and a happy Sunday to you!

A big thanks to everyone who's been so friendly to welcome me on board of YoP and even giving me advice how and where to begin on my knitting adventure! Is it bad that I want to add all your suggested projects to my list? Uh-oh.. It's been one week, and the adding to the list has started already..

I haven't been able to do a lot of knitting at all. I don't know if you've seen my post that we were selling our couch and buying a new one, but I'm beginning to think we've kind of spun out of control a little bit.. In a few weeks time we have bought new chairs, a bench a new couch & loveseat, a daybed, two little tables and two new cupboards/cabinets. Both cabinets had to be put together, and we're sore from all the lifting!

We did put together one cabinet today, so hooray for that! And I did some sawing today - yes, sawing, not sewing - which I had never done before.. I feel very victorious! Here's a picture of the cabinet we put together (sorry it's evening with us already so it's a bit dark..) I'm so excited for tomorrow when I get to put all my little crafty supplies into those drawers!!


The other one looks like this and is sitting in two pieces in two different rooms of our house. Really it's a bit of a mess here.. And to think it all started with buying new dining room chairs!

 
But anyhoo, on to the important part of this post! The knitting!

After some consideration I picked the little knitted gift bags as my first project. I have a few birthday's coming up so I could use some cute gift baggies, and because I have already crocheted gift bags looong ago, they looked easiest to me..

I found this youtube movie on how to get started with my DPNs.. Very useful indeed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqkIdJ3WSzA

Uhm, so yeah, here's a picture of the progress.

 
I know, it's a bit emberassing, but I have started over lots of times.. Ãnd did I tell you we've almost redecorated our entire house? I think I'm getting the hang of this DPN-knitting though! It's nice! It's fun! It's so.. 3D!
 
Well, I'm off to bed now but I'll be sure to visit you guys tomorrow! And hopefully I will have some more knitting progress by next weeks post...
 
I bid you all .. Adieu!

11 comments :

  1. woo hoo... your project looks great...well done you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you've got the DPNs mastered! I could tell you many a tale of a small decorating change that led to a whole room renovation ... my poor husband just shakes his head because one thing ineveitably leads to another. For instance, I just replaced the duvet ... then I needed a new duvet cover ... and now I think we should repaint. So it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some great, furniture pieces. I love the first one with all the little drawers. Yay for another DPNs knitter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I love the new 'crafty' unit. All those drawers will hold so many treasures. Your adventure with DPN is looking good. Once you get the hand of it, it really isn't as scary as some would have you think it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not embarrassing, many of us start over, and over..another common mistake is to somehow flip it and suddenly your knitting on the inside of the work...looks good so far...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well aren't all your crafty bits and bobs going to have a lovely home now in that cabinet, I love the other one, is it bad that I can see those shelves packed with all colours and types of yarn! Hmmm anyway as for favourites, I always read everyones list in July and end up with more items on my favourites pile than before, hence the reason for me tackling projects on it this year. Love the colour you've chosen for the first gift bag and now that you've got the hang of the dpn's which yes can take as long as knitting the item if it's small, you'll fly at it. I suppose if you don't like the dpn way you could always try the magic circle but that's for another day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love knitting with dpn's - just find it quite satisfying - not sure why!! The cabinets are to die for and congratulations on decorating the whole house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH! I love your new furniture...both pieces! I could sure use those drawers too! I need to find a system for my yarn supply which is growing. You must show us next week how you filed those drawers! LOL! I love to have things organized but haven't really figured out how to with the yarn and it's accompanying equipment.
    I learned Magic Loop first and then DPN's and I like DPN's much better. It is hard to get the knack of it but once you do it doesn't seem hard at all. I had many, many "do overs" before I got going but stick with it! You look like you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you pointed out that it was sawing and not sewing because my brain auto-corrected to sewing, which is what you would normally find when someone talks about craft stuff. It's a beautiful cabinet. Trust me, it's not embarrassing at all to start over a lot of times on one project. I'm sure that there are some people (such as myself) who seem to start over several times on nearly every project for one reason or another.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely cabinet to store all your craft stash in, it's magnificent. It does get easier knitting with dpns the more you do it and I love the knitted gift bag, such a great idea for gift giving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lot of purchases! The cabinets look great, and those drawers look perfect for all those little craft supplies.

    Good start with the DPNs. I've always found them a bit fiddly and hence I prefer the circular needle method for socks and the like, so I'm always a bit in awe of all of you who knit seemingly effortlessly with DPNs!

    ReplyDelete